RE: Gas Guage -> Computer/engine trouble.

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 09:51:59 EST

>> OK, so I found out that I don't have a low fuel light.

  That's strange. I've got one on my '95.

>>The "CHECK ENGINE" light was on.

  It'll stay on until you reset the computer (I'm not sure whether powering
down the Dakota's computer will clear pending codes, have to look in the
shop manual).

>>12, 43, 43, 43, 55. According to the Chrysler FAQ, this means:

>> 12: Battery or computer recently disconnected

  Very likely it stored this code when you jumped your brother's car.
Low voltage can certainly reset the computer, causing this code even if
you didn't disconnect power.

>> 43: Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time
>> OR
>> Cylinder misfire
>> OR
>> Problem in power module to logic module interface

  Since your truck was running rough while running out of gas, this
code makes sense. Probably not a big problem.

>> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Can running out
>>of gas have caused all of these problems?

  Doubtful that it caused the 12, but it could certainly have caused the
43.

>I suggest that you disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset the
>computer. You will get the 12 code again but it will clear itself after
>about 20 ignition cycles, the check engine light should go out.

  Good advice, Dave.

  Ron