Re: Foglights and splash guards

From: John P. Curcio (jpc@philabs.research.philips.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 1996 - 09:10:03 EST

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996 23:00:44 -0400 (EDT) pan_chan@iacnet.com wrote:

> Anyone strongly recommend any particular fog lights and mud flaps for the
> Dakota SLT (as opposed to the Sport model)?

> The Mopar fog lights, according to my dealer, cost $71 plus $53 for the
> mounting kit, plus $11 for brackets. Does that sound right to those of you
> w/experience installing fog lights?

I just installed a set of Hella 450 fogs (55 W) on my Mazda-- took me
a couple of hours to figure out how to fish the wire through the
firewall, but that's another story. They cost $70, and included the
mounting kit (wire, relay, lighted switch, brackets, etc.). The only
additional cost was for crimp connectors, since I didn't like the ones
they included. The $135 for the Mopar seems a little high.

> Sometimes I find that just the Dakota
> headlights don't illuminate what's in front of me as much as I'd like --
> especially around where I live where there's a lot of rolling hills and windi
ng
> roads. I like to sit up tall, so when I'm heading downhill, I tend to look ou
> through the shaded band on the upper part of the windshield which makes it
> appear even darker outside.

While I have the floor, I will take this opportunity to climb on my
soapbox. What you are really looking for is driving lights. Fog
lights have a short and wide range, while driving lights illuminate a
more narrow but longer path. Fog lights should be used ONLY in fog,
and driving lights should be treated as high-beams-- dip them for
oncoming traffic.

-JPC

John P. Curcio Philips Laboratories
jpc@philabs.philips.com 345 Scarborough Road
(914) 945-6442 Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510