Re: FW: Foglights and splash guards

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 02 1996 - 02:04:26 EST

In a message dated 96-03-01 10:41:11 EST, CSiano@banyan.com writes:

>I don't know if this is of any concern, but every person I know that has a
>4x4 has had one or both of those fog lights break. The brackets break or
>the lens is cracked. Even the magazines who tested the truck had fog lamp
>failure. I wouldn't say any of the trucks have been abused (well, maybe
>mine :-), but the factory lights don't seem to last.

I ordered an aftermarket airdam (the only one made, I believe) from Stillen
with the fog lights made for it. This airdam is much nicer, but hangs
considerably lower (cool if you're into the low street look!) With all the
lowering, my fog lights are about 4-5 inches off the ground. Naturally, they
were cracked within about a week after installation. I remedied by custom
shaping a couple pieces of Lexan into the shape of the fog light (driving
light?) and threading the light mount screws through the covers. So far, so
good. (about 9 months)

Kinda funny, but sick, story about this airdam and having no ground clearance
up front. The shape of the Stillen airdam is somewhat of an "L" vaguely
similar to the SuperTruck airdams. So one fine fall day, I'm cruising to
work (late) down a favorite backroad (read: no cops) when out of nowhere, a
grey squirrel bolts out right in front of me. There was no way to avoid him.
 I heard a thump in front, gritted my teeth, and checked the rear view for
the victim. I saw nothing, and continued on to work. Later on down the same
road I felt the tires on the driver's side hit a little bump that I did not
see in the road. I now checked the rear view and sure enough, there was the
little road-kill guy. I guess that when I first hit him, the airdam
*scooped* him up off the ground and took him for a little ride, held in place
by the wind, but when he finally struggled free, he took the wrong way off
and ended up checking out the performance tread of my new Dunlops at a VERY
close range. I s'pose this stuff happens when your leading edge ground
clearance is 3-4 in. Oh, and as I'm sure you're concerned, the truck made it
through unscathed.

Andy "James Watt" Pacholski