CC Sound Systems. Was: Re: I dood it ! (96 Dakota)

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 09:44:56 EST

>>I'm still convinced that an external amp will improve sound quality.
>>The existing system is just using the deck for power, right? To drive
>>six speakers? That's got to be a big weak point.
>
>I'm not sure which system you have, but mine (the high end Infinity) has
>some type of external amp for the front speakers. (Possibly the rear too,
>but I never checked) I found this out while I tried to use the stock front
>speakers with a new radio. I never did get it to work properly. I ended
>up replacing the whole thing.

   When I was still shopping for my '96 Dakota, I knew I wanted to have
a cassette tape and a CD changer. I was going to go with the factory
cassette tape and then get a Pioneer CD changer, but I kinda ran out
of cash and I can't justify the expense right now. Anyway, if you
are considering a modification to your system, do not get the Infinity
sound system. (This was a reccomendation of the dealer as well as from
some fellow netizens). The reason is that the Infinity speakers have
some kind of goofy amplification scheme... An amplifier right in
the speakers or some such thing. Anyway, the end result is that they
generally don't work too good with aftermarket stuff. I did kind of
regret not getting the Infinity system when I ran out of cash and
was stuck with AM/FM cassette (actually, the sound isn't that bad, but
I have no way to play all of my CDs.) but eventually, I'll be able to
get a changer of some type in there and I'll be glad I didn't go Infinity.

    If you already have an Infinity system and are planning to upgrade,
by all means, try it with the Infinitys, but keep in mind that you *may*
have to buy new speakers all around... $-(

                                              -Jon-

 | Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
 | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
 | '96 Dakota SLT V-8, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |