Dakotas: How fast?

From: BAMILLER@CSUPomona.Edu
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 13:38:21 EST

I own a 94 Dakota Sport short bed, regular cab. It has the V8, 5spd, and a 3.55open rear (no Sure-grip). My best time stock (on the Goodyears) was 15.7@91mph.
I then went out and bought the computer. I ran 15.19@93.8mph, again on the
goodyears. I borrowed a set of M&H Racemasters(dirt compound) and ran 14.78@
94.4mph. I do use 1st gear but I'm not sure its required in the 3.90 equiped
trucks. I autocross the truck now. It is stock when I autocross except for 16iinch wheels and 245/50/16 Yokohama A008RSII autocross tires. Next mod will be
the installation of a Sure-grip.
Advice to new Dakota buyers: Save your money and don't get the bucket seats.
All they are are mini-van seats. Get the bench and spend your money on some
aftermarket seats (Recaro, Corbeau) and then get the center console out of
a wrecking yard.
As far as the 97 Dakota's: April 96 issue of Motor Trend says "All new Dakota
pickup looks a great deal like a more athletic Ram with V-8 power and extended
cab versions..."
Something else interesting: "New GTS Ram pickup (not Indy 500 Ram), Dodge's
answer to the Ford Lightning, sports close to 300 horses from its 5.9 liter
Magnum V-8." Hopefully some form of this engine will end up in the Dakota!
Also in 98 a Dakota SUV is in the works...

Well back to lurking on the list...
Write me if you want "bamiller@csupomona.edu"
Brett Miller