RE: 4x4 Axle Disconnect Question

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 13:29:08 EST

From: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET on Tue, Mar 5, 1996 12:26 PM
Subject: 4x4 Axle Disconnect Question

>>The 4x4 indicator light started staying on in my Dakota when the lever was
>>moved back to 2wd a couple of weeks ago. My first though was it's just a
>>sticking switch (my friend that was the original owner stated he had the
>>switch replaced twice) and I did not worry to much about it.

>Chances are it is a stuck switch. A vacumme switch. This is a notorious
>problem with the NP transfercases.

>On the Transfer case, you'll find a little tower with several vacumme line
>comming from it. (not sure of the exact location as it moved from model to
>model and year to year, but try either near the rear drive yoke, or between
>the input and front yoke. this second position is a pain in the butt to
>work on, but is more protected.) Very carefully (and I mean very
>carefully) pull the vacumme lines off the switch. The top of the switch is
>made of plastic and can easily break if too much side pressure is applied.

>Once the lines are off, the switch can be unscrewed. A special socket is
>the proper way, but I just use a large pair of vice grip pliers.

>Once out, turn the switch over. You will see a little rounded plunger.
>This is the problem. As gunk builds up the case, it finds its way to the
>switch. Once the plunger is pressed (activating 4WD) the gunk lodges
>itself between the plunger and the case of the switch. This prevents the
>spring in the switch from pushing the plunger back out when in 2WD.

>By using some WD40 or Liquid Wrench, you can clean out the switch and then
>re-install. Cycle the plunger with your fingers until it moves smoothly
>and easily.

>A new switch is about $30 if things are too dirty.

>The light stays on because the light is operated from the vacumme motor at
>the axle.

Thanks for the input!

I do have the disconnect at the axle. When my friend said he had to replace the
switch twice I assumed he meant the electrical switch on the axle that turns
the light on and off. I did not even consider the vacumn switch on the transfer
case. I was expecting to find either a leaking vacumn line or the electrical
switch was stuck and the axle was infact disconnecting. I will check out all the
possiblities.

Weather permitting this weekend I plan on installing the rebuilt axle shaft (bad
right side CV) and I just picked up the seal on for the axle ($12 including tax
if anyone is interested) located behind the flange. It's been leaking enough to
soak the right side of the under carraige and motor with gear oil.

With the new CV, new boot on left side and the axle seal replaced all of my
leaks that have been making a mess of the undercarriage should be fixed.

Dave