RE: what else - DAKOTAS

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed Mar 06 1996 - 08:29:18 EST

From: izzy1@sonic.net@INTERNET on Tue, Mar 5, 1996 10:48 PM

>>I have P235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler Radials (no suffix codes) on my 89 4x4
>>Dakota. When I am ready for new tires I am thinking of going with something
>>with a more street oriented tread (I do not off road except for the beach and
>>all terrain tires are not necessarily the best choice in soft sand).
>>
>>I have been looking at Dunlap Sport Rover GTX and Bridgstone Dueler HP in
>>P255/70R15 size. These are all season tread patterns, have higher tread wear
>>numbers than the all terrains (appr. 420), should be quieter on the road
>>and are less expensive than similiar offerings from Goodyear. The 255/70 size
>>maintains the same 29 inch diameter of the 235/75 and is about 1 1/4 inches
>>wider (my vanity says get wider tires).
>>
>>Dave Clement
>
>I found that 90% of my driving was on pavement, but I still wanted an
>aggressive tire that would perform the other 10%. I switched from BF
>Goodrich A/Ts to General Ameriway 235/75R15 the load rating was greater,
>they were mud and snow rated, and they lasted a lot longer. I use to commute
>140 miles round trip on Coast Highway 1 from Santa Rosa to Sea Ranch and I
>considered that a good tire test. the main reason for me to change tires is
>to gain a little extra clearance. I read that larger tires can ruin the
>automatic tranys overdrive, do you know about this?? Grabber AP 30x9.5R15
>are being advertised for $70 each. I have had good luck with this tire in
>the past but the cost of new rims scare me.

I have been looking to get away from the All Terrain tire thats why the Dueler
HP or Sport Rover GTX. The Tire Rack has the HP for arond $70.00 and the GTX for
around $80.00. I was unaware of the potential of overdrive problems with larger
tires. I am looking at the 255/70 size because it is the same diameter as the
stock 235/75's. I didn't want to get into issues with speedo accuracy, with the
3.21 rear end in overdrive the engine only turns 1800rpm@65mph as it is, the
engine would idling at 65 with larger diameter tires.

Dave