Warranties (was:I dood it ! (96 Dakota))

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed Mar 06 1996 - 08:08:05 EST

From: borders@dept.physics.upenn.edu@INTERNET on Tue, Mar 5, 1996 6:19 PM

>>> Dunno... I'm interested in this as well.. I believe you can still get it
>>> after delivery... that is _if_ you still want it...
>>

>>When I was looking around at trucks last year I was told that you could
>>get the extended warrantee up until a month before the regular warrantee
>>was up.
>>
>> Barb
>>
>Too bad you didn't get it as part of the deal, because these warranties are
>VERY negotiable. I found out after I paid around $900 for a 7/75 - bumper to
>bumper third party program. Don't know how well you will be able to deal
>with them after the sale, but I feel that they are definitely worth it!

I have a several comments to make about extended warranties;

. I have never read an article that made a favorable comment on the cost to
benifits derived on extended warranties. If you can negoitiate it as a freeby
when you purchase the vehicle great. These things are the Rusty Jones packages
of the 90's.
. If I had so little confidence in a vehicle making it to 75k miles without
major work I would buy something else. Heck, if I didn't have confidence in a
vehicle making it to 150k miles without major work I would not buy it. $900
dollars will do some serious repairs. If there is a deductable involved add that
to the purchase price of the warranty, this is the point where a repair has to
exceed before it's worth while.
. The cost/sale price structure is likely different but I worked in a consumer
electronics store part time a few years back and we got 50% of whatever we sold
an Extended Service Plan (ESP) for. Quite an incentive for a sales person to
push them. The running joke was ESP actually stood for Extra Store Profits.

I typically have some fun with sales people after I have decided to make a
purchase and they start pushing these plans. I make a statement to the effect,
"What are you saying? Sounds to me you are saying that there is something wrong
with this product, maybe I should re-think making my purchase?" You should see
the look on there faces, it definately stops the sales pitch.

Dave Clement