RE: 4x4 Axle Disconnect Question

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 07:39:46 EST

From: snyder@shentel.net@INTERNET on Wed, Mar 6, 1996 9:07 PM

>The 4x4 indicator light started staying on in my Dakota when the lever was
mo...

>Dave
> There is a TSB for this problem. For my 90 it is #21-20-92 but I
>think it applies to other models. What is happening is moisture is getting
>into the transfer case and contaminating the fluid. This in turn results in
>the switch becoming contaminated and rusting. If you change the transfer
>case fluid and it looks like red milk then this is the root of your problem.
>The TSB tells you how to prevent the moisture from entering the case. Hope
>this helps.

Scott,

Thanks for the input!

By the way the mechanic fairy made a visit to my truck the other day (wife's
been driving it and did not tell me) and fixed the 4wd indicator light problem.
She noticed on Tuesday after work when she got into the truck the light was off.
She moved the lever in and out of 4wd and everything seems to be ok. I had the
truck last night and tried it a couple of times and confirmed the proper
operation.

I am due for a fluid chage in the axles, transfer case and tranny so it's looks
like now is the time to verify the TSB description. If I am not buried by the
storm bearing down on Boston this weekend it looks like I will be; replacing the
right side half shaft, the axle seal on the right, giving all the vacumn
connections a once over, replacing fluid in the transfer case and pulling the
vacumn switch and cleaning checking operation. Good thing my wife is off to a
shower on Saturday, she will not be finding other things for me to do.

Dave Clement