RE: Warranties (was:I dood it ! (96 Dakota)) (fwd)

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 08:25:02 EST

From: frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com@INTERNET on Wed, Mar 6, 1996 3:16 PM

>&
>& I have a several comments to make about extended warranties;
>&
>& . I have never read an article that made a favorable comment on the cost to
>& benifits derived on extended warranties. If you can negoitiate it as a freeby
>& when you purchase the vehicle great. These things are the Rusty Jones
>& packages

>In general I agree, but the failure rate of many automatic transmissions
>made by Chrysler, GM, and Ford over the last 20 years is abominable.
>I have a friend who paid $3000 for his Taurus transmission at 60,000 miles.
>I'd get the warranty with any automatic trans with an unknown reliability
>record. I got a 5-speed and passed on the extended warranty. My uncle
>worked for Sears. He showed me a memo saying how much just his store
>made on extended warranties. I forget the number but it was 6 digits.

Based on the reponses I have seen I must be in the minority regarding the worth
of extended warranties. In the twenty six years that I have been driving I have
purchased 6 brand new cars, 7 used cars and have never had a failure in the
first 100,000 miles that would make me wish I had an extended warranty (my
Dakota is the only vehicle that had a major problem before 100k but it was
before I owned it).

Dave Clement