RE: Problem with 6 cyl 96 Dakota auto trans

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 11:52:04 EST

From: petem@VFL.Paramax.COM@INTERNET on Thu, Mar 7, 1996 9:46 AM

>My new Dakota doesn't seem to shift quite right but this is my first truck
>so perhaps I'm expecting too much of a car like shifting. The shift from
>first to second seems to wait too long before doing the shift and takes
>place in the 18-20 mph range rather than the 13-15 range I was expecting.
>After adjusting the linkage twice, the dealer now claims this is normal.
>Any comments?

I have never payed much attention to the actual speeds on my Dakota in each gear
but with the 3.21 axle ratio the vehicle is going quite fast at very low rpms
(45mph ~= 1200rpm) and unless the truck is floored all the shifting occurs below
300rpm. The shift points are based on rpm not speed so if it is shifting
smoothly and without hesitation I would not worry about the actual speed that
the shifts take place.

Dave Clement