Problem with 6 cyl 96 Dakota auto trans (fwd)

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 1996 - 00:53:49 EST

& My new Dakota doesn't seem to shift quite right but this is my first truck
& so perhaps I'm expecting too much of a car like shifting. The shift from
& first to second seems to wait too long before doing the shift and takes
& place in the 18-20 mph range rather than the 13-15 range I was expecting.
& After adjusting the linkage twice, the dealer now claims this is normal.

I've only driven an auto Dakota with a V8, but under gentle acceration
it was not smooth. Under moderate acceration it was much smoother.
It think Dodge sets them up this was on purpose for the trucks, and
it is likely related to the message that I just read about torque
converter stall speeds. So mash that gas pedal and see it if doesn't
work better.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-4848 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Yamaha IT175 XT350 YZF600 Seca750 Kawi KDX200
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 KC6WUG, AMA, DoD #7566, NMLRA, I'm the NRA.