RE: Rust on chrome wheels.

From: Mark M Herrick (mherrick@ptialaska.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 1996 - 13:57:32 EST

On Friday, March 22, 1996 7:40 AM, Jon N. Steiger[SMTP:stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu] wrote:

>>>the wheels.... Also, someone on the list had posted about using fine grade
>>>steel wool to remove the surface rust on the chrome wheels and other chrome
>>>pieces. What grade of steel wool should I get?? Can it be found at a Home
>>>Depot or a garden-variety hardware store??
>>

>> I picked up a can of chrome rust remover/polish. (chrome polish that
>>is, not rust polish). ;-)
>>
>> I tried it on a rust spot on the bumper, and it removed the rust very
>>well. I immagine it will do as well on the wheels. (I hope so, since
>>that's one of the reasons I bought it.) :-) I'm waiting until spring
>>to go over the truck and remove all that pesky rust.
>>

>> Maybe my fears are unfounded, but I'd be nervous to take an abrasive to
>>anything on my nice, shiny truck. :-) Maybe steel wool wouldn't scratch
>>chrome though? I don't know much about it.

The dealer has replaced 2 sets of Chrome wheels for me now and gave the reason for the rusting to be a poor quality, thin chroming job so I would definitely be very leery about taking any steel wool to them.
I picked up a can of the same kind of Rust remover/Polish and it works quite well.

** Mark M. Herrick
** http://www.ptialaska.net/~mherrick
** Kodiak, Alaska
** 94 Dakota SLT Club Cab, 3.9, 5 Speed