RE: Dakota Repairs

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri Mar 22 1996 - 13:09:05 EST

From: NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org@INTERNET on Fri, Mar 22, 1996 8:50 AM

>>From: Dave_Clement-LDC009
>>To: dakota; dzavetsky
>>Subject: RE: Dakota Repairs
>>Date: Friday, March 22, 1996 6:34AM

>Just a note of caution to the list. If you have Aluminum wheels "DO NOT" use
>plain lead balance weights. The lead reacts with the AL and causes all kinds of
>>ugly corrosion. If you have the tires balanced and they do not have epoxy
>>coated weights hustle down to the local speed shop and buy them and replace
>>the non coated weights.
>>Dave Clement

>Dave, does this apply for the steel chrome wheels that are standard on the
>Dakota (I assume the aluminum ones you're referring to are the predator
>wheels)? They balanced my wheels at the dealer before I picked up my truck,
>and I kind of wished they had put all the weights on the inside of the rim
>instead of outside on the chrome. Darn it, I just had it in for it's 6000
>mile service, and had the tires rotated, but forgot to ask 'em to rebalance
>the wheels.... Also, someone on the list had posted about using fine grade
>steel wool to remove the surface rust on the chrome wheels and other chrome
>pieces. What grade of steel wool should I get?? Can it be found at a Home
>Depot or a garden-variety hardware store??

The weight/corrosion issue applies to aluminum only. But the coated weights are
normally a light grey color and they stay that way. They will look better over
time on any wheels.

A Dynamic Balancer gives the best balance on a wheel and it specifies to the
operator how much weight, where on the wheel and whether it is on the outside or
inside of the rim. Unless you are willing to have a less than optimum balance
you will likely have weights on the outside of the rim.

If you are using steel wool the more zero's the finer the wool and that's what
you want for cleaning chrome (00 or 000).

Dave Clement