RE: 4X4 indicator lamp

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Apr 04 1996 - 09:00:39 EST

On my truck the 4x4 indicator light came on and stayed on after shifting out of
4wd for a couple of weeks. During this time the axle disconnect vacuumn motor
had vacuumn on the engage side holding the the axle engaged but the transfer
case was disengaded. As the weather got warmer it cleared it self up. I talked
to the previous owner and he had the vacuumn switch on the transfer case
replaced twice because of this problem.

Even now on occasion the light will stay on for a couple of miles after shifting
out of 4wd. Starting and stopping does not seem to have an effect which adds
more evidence that the vacumn switch on the transfer case is sticking.

Somone on the list made reference to a TSB regarding this problem with the
vacuumn switch.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE

From: BAC0813@ritvax.isc.rit.edu@INTERNET on Thu, Apr 4, 1996 7:26 AM

I have a questions about the compliants of the 4X4 indictor lamp
staying on.

Was this problem experienced after shifting out of 4wd while in motion? If
this is the case the light stays on because the vehicle is actually still in
4wd. The light should go off if the you tap the throttle on and off a couple of
times disengaging the 4wd. The reason for this is that the sleeve that engages
the 4wd is a solid connection into 4wd, but is spring loaded out of 4wd. These
means that if there is torque wind-up on the system caused by driving on dry
surfaces, the spring dosen't have enough force to disengege the 4 wd sleeve
until the torque windup is relived, done by tapping on and off the gas.

If this wasn't when the problem occured, I can look into possible problems with
the switch.

Brent Cring
(NVG co-op engineer)