Re: your mail

From: Paul Caldwell (caldwell@MO.NET)
Date: Mon Apr 22 1996 - 15:32:36 EDT

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Mark Husar wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the fact that the Dakota has no external fuel filter ?
> The only one that's mentioned in my 1996 Dakota shop manual is the one
> that's part of the fuel pressure regulator in the gas tank. There is no
> service interval specified for the fuel filter. How long are these things
> supposed to last? All my other vehicles have had some external fuel filter
> on them that was replaced at regular intervals, say every 30,000 miles.

YES!!!!!!! Boy can I comment! This fine piece of engineering is called a
"Fuel Module". It has a filter on the end that fits inside the gas tank.
That is the fuel filter. The rest of this unit has some electronics and
a float arm. God knows what it does. The fuel module on my 94 SLT went
out in the middle of a very busy highway. No indicator, no sputtering
or stalling - the engine just died (62000 miles). The fuel module is a
very expensive ($300+) dealer only part. Your average shade tree
mechanic is not going to replace this one. A pretty big pain for a fuel
filter. Good luck.

Paul Caldwell
caldwell@mo.net