RE: Fuel filters

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 08:07:32 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET
From: rlr@bbt.com@INTERNET on Mon, Apr 22, 1996 8:12 PM

> However, this sucks for the customer if any part of the module
>fails (since we have to pay for the whole thing, regardless of
>whether only one system fails). It also sucks for we DIYers, since
>filter replacement presumably involves dropping & draining the
>tank. Doable, but a pain.

> I'd also like to discuss our options for retrofitting a secondary
>fuel filter between the tank and fuel rail. I'd feel much better
>knowing that crud was twice as likely to be captured before hitting
>my injectors. Haven't messed with FI much before; is there an aftermarket
>filter suitable for high pressure fuel?

Ron,

I would not hesitate a second to cut the fuel line and install an external fuel
filter. My 89 3.9l uses one and it is the same filter used on my 89 Daytona
turbo 2. This filter is heavy wait stainless with a mounting bracket. In both
the Dakota and Daytona there are short (6") pieces of rubber fuel line attaching
the filter to the steel lines. There will be no pressure issues since the turbo
engine fuel system runs between 55psi no boost to 70psi full boost quite a bit
more than the 35 or so psi of a non turbo motor.

I am not familiar with this new system where the regualtor and filter are in the
tank with the fuel pump. All of the fuel injection systems I have worked on have
the regulator up on the engine near the injectors (it's part of the throttle
body on my 3.9) and have a return line back to the tank. The filter is mounted
on the pressure side between the pump and the regulator either under the vehicle
or in the engine compartment. All of the units I have removed from tanks have
consisted of a bracket that the fuel pump, pick-up and gauge sender are monted
to. They all are seperately servicable. The only issue with going to an external
filter is you would need to remove (or gut) the internal filter or you would
still need to change it at regular intervals.

Dave Clement
89 4x4