Re: K&N Filtercharger and FIPK

From: L. Jacobs (ljacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 12:05:19 EDT

[SNIP]
> I want to try the K&N Filtercharger Injection Performance Kit
> (FIPK) part no. 57-1501. It is essentially an old-style 360 degree
> filter kit. K&N claims 18hp increase over OEM filter and air box.
> Has anyone tried this? How much did you pay? Good value?

Hmmm... this gets me thinking. I've had a few vehicles where I
could just flip the 'lid' of the air-cleaner housing over, or
get a taller filter w/same diameter. This, in effect, would
greatly increase the air intake and you wouldn't throw a lot of
money away. Now I haven't tried this on a new car, for fear of
messing up some computer gadgetry somewhere (maybe it will only
affect the choke/heat riser?).
Another thought - instead of spending a lot of money on a kit, why
not buy a junkyard air cleaner, and cut slots all around.
(Just call me thrifty).

P.S. - if anyone can find a Dakota in a 'recyle' yard, let me know.
I've been trying to find a sport spoiler w/fog light cut outs (I've
given up on the idea of cutting the original for projector style). And
does anyone know if all years are interchangable (I've got a 96).