K&N Filtercharger and FIPK

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 10:24:17 EDT

Hey gang,

I've been reading your discussions for only a few days, but have
learned much. Here's my 2 cents' worth on my '92 Dakota 5.2 w/
73K miles:

Problems that have been fixed:

At 26K, lifter stuck, rounded out cam lobe. Dealer replaced lifters,
cam under warranty. (Could Slick 50 have caused this?)

At 32K, developed oil leak at rear main, dealer fixed under
warranty.

At 56K, dealer was looking for squeek and twisted off spare tire
retaining cable. Footed labor bill, charged for part ($65, not under
warranty), gave me free oil/filter/lube for trouble.

At 62K, all dashboard components "blinked" out when lowering
tilt wheel. Dealer said alarm company yanked wiring harness to
get enough wire to hook up their alarm (installed in '92) and over
time the connections came loose. $165 parts/labor, alarm
company never assumed responsibility but paid half.

Problems not fixed:

Dealer never found squeek, which seems to have started after
hitting a LARGE pothole. Noise appears to be under driver's side
A-piller, not in suspension (Don't know why they were looking at
the spare...) I'm living with it. Radio and A/C blanks the noise.

Performance down since introduction of reformulated gas to DFW.
 Dealer said all specs were correct. Nothing he could do. Any
ideas, anyone?

Mods:

I added a K&N filtercharger after the 1st paper filter died. Best
$40 I've spent! I encourage everyone to use K&N products in ALL
their vehicles. (Required in my FJ1200 w/ V&H 4-to-1 and Stage
1 kit)

Added Mich. LTX when the Goodyears wore out. Great
improvement w/o added noise or rough ride. I can now get my
boat out of the water w/o having people stand on the rear bumper.

Musings:

I want to try the K&N Filtercharger Injection Performance Kit
(FIPK) part no. 57-1501. It is essentially an old-style 360 degree
filter kit. K&N claims 18hp increase over OEM filter and air box.
Has anyone tried this? How much did you pay? Good value?

Also, I want to add true dual exhaust. Does anyone know of
aftermarket headers besides the $450 Modar headers? If you've
done true duals, please discuss the task fully.

Thanks for all the good info...keep it coming!

Ken