AIr Duct Mods

From: Brent A. Cring (cring@sae.isc.rit.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 24 1996 - 11:35:49 EDT

------------- Begin Included Message -------------
I think it is for cooling or maybe to provide ambient air for a temperature
measurement. My Daytona has the Computer mounted in the air duck from the nose
of the car and the air filter box. Inside there are several large heat sinks
sticking out of the potting material into the air stream. The solidstate devices
that operate the injectors and ignition are in the module and these can generate
quite a bit of heat because of the current required by the injectors and
ignition.

Why would you want to modify the intake? You would need to make some major
engine mods before the duct would become a factor.

------------- End Included Message -------------
The air duct modifications should provide an increase in horsepower by allowing
the air flow into the throttle body to be less restricted. I was planning to
make a air duct system like the the '96 Chevy 4.3 Vortec engines. I was also
planning on boring the throttle body ports 0.060 oversized and making new
butterfly plates and shaft, making both parts thinner. These modifictions
should allow the engine to intake more air by lessing the restriction. These
may seem like minor mods., but I work on a formula SAE car here at RIT and just
by changing the profile of our throttle body, we gained 5hp, from a 600cc engine
producing 74hp. Intakes are a commonly overlooked system that has a major effect
on engine performance.

If the air line to the computer is just for cooling then I should be able atach
the line into the filter air duct.

Brent Cring
91 Dakota V-8