RE: Ground Clearance

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed Apr 24 1996 - 20:35:56 EDT

Cc: hornback@qualcomm.com@INTERNET
From: Mark.Kraieski@mailport.delta-air.com@INTERNET on Wed, Apr 24, 1996 7:32 PM

>You can get maybe an inch to an inch and a half by tweaking the bars.
>Unfortunately, this will stiffen the front end and restrict wheel
>articulation (the ability for the tires to move up into the fenderwell)
>which is critical for decent off-road performance. If your goal is slightly
>larger tires for a more aggressive look, go with the torsion tweak. If your
>goal is more clearance for offroading, you will be disappointed.

Technically you are incorrect with your statement. Cranking the torsion bars
does not increase the spring rate it increase the pre-load. As long as the
the same amount for a given impact. What you may precieve as making the
suspension stiffer is if you totally unload the wheel the force to initially get
the wheel moving again would be greater.

My truck was nose low when i got it and after cranking the torsion bars six
turns to get it level the front actually felt more plush over bumps. The reason
for this is I had more suspension travel available before hitting the bumpers.
The bumpers are designed to dramtically increase the spring rate to stop the
suspension motion without it slamming into metal.

Dave Clement
89 4x4