1991 Dakota Clunk in Transmission -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 1996 - 16:45:01 EDT

Scott, a.k.a. 76325.242@compuserve.com,

I have a '92 V8 Dakota with a "clunk" also. Here's the story:

Prior to 50K, I noticed a soft metallic clunk while driving at
highway speeds w/ the rear window open. The noise occurs when
I let off and gently press on the gas at highway speeds. Having
replaced U-joints on other cars, I suspected them first. It sounds
to me like drive train slack caused by worn U-joints.

The dealer disagrees--"Normal wear-and-tear" he says, even
though I have the 100K ext. warranty and he gets paid no matter
what...hmm.

I'm waiting until the noise gets worse (I'm at 73K now) and will
take it in again.

Are we talking about the same noise? Does anyone know of a
TSB about it?

Ken

attached mail follows:

I have a 91 Dakota, I bought in Summer of 94,
I am second owner. There is a trerrible clunk
coming from the transmission. I took it to the
local dealer and there mechanic said that there is
nothing that can be done, it is just a
characteristic of the Dakota, I find this hard to
believe. Has anyone else had this problem, if so
did you get it rectified?

Thanks..

Scott..
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)