1991 Dakota Clunk in Transmission

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Tue Apr 30 1996 - 07:26:16 EDT

>I have a 91 Dakota, I bought in Summer of 94,
>I am second owner. There is a trerrible clunk
>coming from the transmission. I took it to the
>local dealer and there mechanic said that there is
>nothing that can be done, it is just a
>characteristic of the Dakota, I find this hard to
>believe. Has anyone else had this problem, if so
>did you get it rectified?

The transmission? Which one? Manual? Automatic? 4x4? There are so many
different drivetrain combonations that no meaningful answer is possible.

However, here is one possibility.

A 'Clunk' type feel is normal when the geartrain load is reversed. (ie,
the engine goes from powering to braking.) This is due mainly to the slop
in the Chrysler rear end. This is especially noticable in a manual 4x4
(particularly with the V8).

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.