Re: Towing a camper trailer -Reply

From: Ron Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 13:34:12 EDT

>I got [a Class III receiver] put on at U-Haul for $149, inc.
>wiring harness.

>I think it was worth the money to pay for the installation.

  IFF you trust U-Haul to install the booger. In my case, I installed
the bolt-on receiver myself. 'Twas very simple. The toughest part
was drilling the 4x1/2" holes in my Dakota's frame.

  Reason I prefer to do this sort of thing myself is that I get to
detail the job. Seal the drilled holes with silicone, use plenty of
Loctite on the bolts, clean up flashing, etc. I trust it more than
I would a 3rd party installation, professional or not.

  Of course, if you don't own a 1/2" drill and don't feel comfortable
messing around with load-bearing hardware, by all means seek professional
installation.

  Ron "IMO" Rader