Re: Towing a camper trailer

From: Dick Mellon (dmell@voyager.net)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 12:56:02 EDT

At 08:50 AM 5/1/96 -0600, Justin Bouillet wrote:
>Howdy y'all!
>
>I have an 87 Dakota LE with a 3.9 carb'd V6. I don't know what my rear
>axle ratio is (I think it's a 3.90). I'm planning on going camping the
>next long weekend and I want to pull a trailer which is approx. 2000 lbs.
>
>My truck isn't adequately equipped with all the equipment for pulling a
>trailer. Here are my questions:
>
>- I have those silly kiddy mirrors. Can I pull a set of full size mirrors
>off a full size Ram Truck or Van and put them on, or do I have to get a
>set from a wrecked Dakota?
>
>- My bumper hitch is rated at 2000 lbs. Should I get a hitch set-up that
>attaches to the frame or is the bumper hitch sufficient for pulling the
>trailer?
>
>- What is a good type/brand electric braking unit to use for the trailer?
>
>- Where can I find wiring instructions for building a wiring harness
>between the truck and trailer?
>
>- How well does a V6 handle pulling a 2000 lb trailer through hills and
>mountains?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>--
>Justin Bouillet justin@energy-ex.com
>Energy Exchange Inc. http://www.energy-ex.com
>
>Hi Justin
      You wo`nt have any problem pullimg #2000 with that setup. I pull 4000+
all the time. I use a Borg Warner elec. control but I here Tonika (sp) is
good also. Some controls do`nt have to connect to brake lines, they are the
best.I use the Factory step bumper for a hitch,its rated at #4000 I think.
Gear down
in the hills and forget about overdrive. A great magazine for trailing is
TRAILER BOATS, GET ONE,all kinds of trailing info.
                     Have a good trip.
                             Dick Mellon
 Dick Mellon,
 E-mail, dmell@voyager.net