Re: Towing a camper trailer -Reply

From: Jeff Pierce (jpierce@n2.net)
Date: Wed May 01 1996 - 17:56:57 EDT

> >I assume if that I install a Class III receiver, that I'm going to have to
> >remove my spare from under the frame. Is this correct?
>
> I have a 5000 lb Reese hitch bolted to the frame and I still have my spare
> under there. Check different brands.
> M K

I also installed the Reese hitch myself with no problems other then drilling the holes. Of course you have to remove the spare to gain access for the installation and wiring. However I'm running 235/LT15s and it fits right back up in the stock location without a hitch (pardon the pun but couldn't resist).

The Reese has worked out well for me, the 1" loss of rear exit clearence hasn't been a problem and I'd rather the hitch get bumped then the sheet metal or step bumper when I really screw up. So far it's made a good skid plate a couple times.

Paid $75.99 on sale at the local AutoPartsClub wearhouse store, add in the heavy duty flasher, necks for both a 2" and 1-7/8" balls, and both a 6 wire and 4 wire adapters and I'm back in the $150 ballpark that's been mentioned on this thread.

As a follow up to my radiator questions - A climb up Mt Thomas this past weekend was more than the old one could bear. A new one is being installed as I type at the local dealer (not the seller) _underwarrenty_ ! Not bad for a '92. I've asked to have the higher pitch fan installed at the same time. I'm Baja ready and San Felipe bound!

Jefe' "in search of the perfect fish taco"