RE: Towing a Trailer

From: Ron Salzl (ronsalzl@uniserve.com)
Date: Thu May 02 1996 - 16:20:03 EDT

In message <9605012206.AA29055@jeflin.tju.edu> writes:
> Would anyone happen to know what the max. in trailer weight a Dakota can
> pull given the type hitch that's installed. I have a '96 4x4 club V6 auto.
> with the heavy duty cooling system.
>
> DaveS
> '96 4x4 club cab V6
> Auto. flame red

Hello all

I went through this whole weight thing at the beginning of the year and
overall the advice I received was "you won't go wrong if you don't go under
the requirements". I bought a 96 Clubcab 4x4, 5.2 V8, with a 3.90 rear end
and trailer tow pkg. This gave me a trailer capacity of 6400 lbs. and a
gross combined vehicle weight of 10,500 lbs. This combination pulls my 4050
lb. dry (5780 GVWR) 21.5' fifth wheel trailer with absolutely no problem. I
have no trouble keeping up to traffic in all the situations I have
encountered so far.

I opted for the 3.90 rear end because I didn't want Chrysler to have any
chance of getting out of the warranty if something goes wrong. I am
convinced I didn't need it and the 3.55 would have been just fine. The 3.90
is great for going downhill though, I rarely had to use the brakes from
keeping me from going too fast down hills.

I had to get the specs. from two sources. The 1996 Dakota brochure gives the
the maximum trailer weight under a column "Required Rear Axle Ratio" but
only shows 3.90 ratios. It does not give the weights for other rear
axle/engine combinations so I got those figures out of my owner's manual.
Unfortunately they only give gross combined weight of the truck, trailer,
cargo, people and fluids. This figure is actually the one a person should
really be looking at when deciding on towing capacities. The only drawback
is that you have to know the "real" loaded weights of the truck and the
trailer by actually weighing them. This can be tough if you are in a buying
situation and don't have anything to weigh or no hitch to haul it with.

Here is a chart of weights I obtained from the brochure and the manual
The maximum trailer weight is followed by the gross combined weight in brackets.

4X4 Club Cab
                                                 REAR AXLE RATIOS
Engine Transmission Payload 3.21 3.55 3.90
--------
3.9 manual all - - - (8000) 4900(8800)
3.9 automatic all - - - (8000) 5200(9200)
5.2 manual all - (7800) - (9500) 6400(10500)
5.2 automatic all - - - (9200) 6400(10500)

In the Dakota manual under hitches it shows:

Class I Hitch (rear step bumper) 2000 lbs.
Class III Hitch 5000
Class IV Hitch 7100

* Ron Salzl *
* ronsalzl@haven.uniserve.com *