Driveline vibration

From: BAC0813@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Date: Sat May 04 1996 - 19:19:30 EDT

rom: blazey@frontiernet.com
Subject: Dakota shakes
To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu

Has anyone else had problems with a chronic drivetrain problem? I have an '87
Dakota, long box 2WD. There seems to be a vibration eminating fron the carrier
bearing area of the drive shaft. It worsens when there is additional weight in
the back end. I had the shaft balanced and trued with little or no
improvement.
 Any ideas?

My 91 dakota has a vibration I can't figure out either. My truck is a 4wd,
auto, V-8 with a short bed. I suspected the u-joints as well, because the
truck also had a loud clunk when put into gear, and still has the clunk. This
made a slight improvement. My next step was going to be balencing the
propshaft, but if that didn't work for your truck it probably won't for mine.
I am thinking now maybe the bushing on the output of the transfer case or
transmission on 2wd wears out and causes this vibration. Friend of mine had a
s10 with a vibration and this was the problem. Anyone else have any ideas?

Brent Cring.
91 Dakota V-8 4wd