RE: Shocks

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed May 08 1996 - 18:22:45 EDT

Paul <schelling_pm@corning.com> posted:
>Bilstein 2WD AK1202 AK1203 $196
>Bilstein 4WD AK1204 AK1205 $196

I'm working from year-old information, but check stock before you plunk down
money for those 4x4 numbers. The factory/distributor here did a production
run of 2WD shocks, and were planning to make these available out of stock,
but hadn't seen enough demand yet to order the parts to make the 4WD models.

I'll reiterate, this setup does work nicely:

Front: B461017 - You have to ream the lower mount to fit the bigger Dodge
bolt than the Ford application - no need to worry, Bilstein used hefty
pipe stock, not split-tubing.

Rear: AK2049 - compress them and tie a string around them to install, I
think the Suburban has a tad more stroke than the Dakota application (good).

I don't know how they can gauge demand if the counter guy at your parts
store checks stock and sees there are none.

BTW, I bought mine at Off-Road Warehouse (ORW), who I understand sell mail-
order via an 800 number. I saw an ad in 4WD & Sport Utility (a good mag, but
a little hard to find). John Brundl is their shock expert in San Diego, and
he helped me find a set that would fit.

Oh, and no, I don't work for Bilstein (not enough software content -- yet).

Jim
"You make demands, you're outta hand... You have been high-handed, setting super
standards... We've been inflicted, you better stop fixing, pretty soon you're
gonna have your day, get your way." -- Debbie Harry. `Def, Dumb, & Blonde'