Performance - Computers and Exhaust

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed May 08 1996 - 18:52:06 EDT

To answer Ken's question ("they simply flush the memory and reprogram it"):
Most likely they dump the 'learned' parameters, which forces the computer
back to the defaults. If you're driving to work and back and avoiding tickets,
you're also teaching your computer that you only want to drive like a moron
(no offense, it includes me). When you're back on the defaults, you get that
'fresh out of the showroom' pep that got you to buy the truck.

So does the MP computer learn all your 'good' habits too?

Price of gas: realistically, we're paying less in real terms than we did in
'67 before the first gas crisis -- no really! New technology lets the refiner
get a lot more high-profit pump gasoline from a barrel of crude than they used
to, so yes, they are making a lot more money. BTW, this is part of the reason
diesel now costs about the same BTU for BTU -- it could have been made into
gasoline (pity those VW Rabbit owners who thought it'd always be 33 cents/gal).

Economy - ah, let me post that separately...

Exhaust - I was reading the fine print in the MP catalog, and I concluded
that the MP headers ARE NOT MADE BY CHRYSLER. So who does make them? Has
anyone seen some good catalog photos so we can narrow this down? I would
hope it's someone like Edelbrock. I'm also hoping it would be maybe a $100
cheaper with their brand name on it than MoPar's name on it. Any info
would be appreciated...

Question: Why would the '96 need a different computer than '95? Have they
changed anything significant? Tighter emissions regs? Hmmmm - try a '95
MP computer and see if it'll mate up with the wiring harness? Anyone
have an experience like this at the '94/'95 model rollover?

Inquiring minds wanna know,

Jim

Inquiring minds reading the Inquirer are feeding their minds placebos.