Fuel Economy

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed May 08 1996 - 19:02:29 EDT

First, I think the best single thing you can do to improve fuel economy
for your Dakota is to put a shell on it - probably worth 1.5 to 2 mpg.

Second, keep the truck in tune, and inflate the tires. For the best mileage
(but worst ride) the tires should be at the pressure where you still get a
full contact patch (drive over a piece of white paper), without exceeding
the sidewall maximum pressure (cold tire).

I've seen small, but significant increases with: Synthetic Differential
Fluid, front and rear; K&N Filtercharger; Proper adjustment of Throttle
Linkage (to Automatic Transmission).

Oh, and keep your windows closed and run A/C when it's hot - open windows
make for a LOT of drag - at freeway speeds. In stop and go, probably the
reverse.

Finally, get a motorcycle so you can enjoy the summer even with the price
of gas this spring! [Sorry, I had to. The Ninja gets 3x the mpg of the Dak.]

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
   I love lush forests, running streams, naked women, and motorcycles.
            I hunt and eat red meat, thus I'm a game manager.
 I own a fossil-guzzling truck, yet I Tread Lightly! wherever I go,
   and pick up all the trash you environmentalist city folk leave behind.
 I own and use an Evil Black Gun (or two) but I'm not a criminal.
 Paradox? No, I'm from Dakota Territory (Montana) where a man's born FREE.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-