Performance - Computers and Exhaust (fwd)

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Wed May 08 1996 - 20:31:33 EDT

&
& Exhaust - I was reading the fine print in the MP catalog, and I concluded
& that the MP headers ARE NOT MADE BY CHRYSLER. So who does make them? Has
& anyone seen some good catalog photos so we can narrow this down? I would
& hope it's someone like Edelbrock. I'm also hoping it would be maybe a $100
& cheaper with their brand name on it than MoPar's name on it. Any info
& would be appreciated...

Didn't somebody say the MP headers were made by Doug Thourley (spelling?).
Anybody try any other brands? The report on installing the Thourley
headers was not encouraging.

& Question: Why would the '96 need a different computer than '95? Have they
& changed anything significant? Tighter emissions regs? Hmmmm - try a '95
& MP computer and see if it'll mate up with the wiring harness? Anyone
& have an experience like this at the '94/'95 model rollover?

There were changes in smog laws, and the cams between '93 and '94.
Starting in '94 light trucks had to meet the same smog specs as cars,
before that light trucks got a break. Dodge changed the cams for '94
and the 5.2L motor dropped from 230 to 220 HP and got more low end
torque. Coincidence?

'94 and '95 should be identical.

'95 and '96 are different:

Thanks to new federal regulations OBDII systems were required starting
in 1996. OBDII is short for On Board Diagnostics, II for the second
gerneration. They may have had to add some extra sensors, they had to
change software, they had to get new smog approvals. Any new computers
(stock or MP), headers, etc, have to work with the new sensors and
software to avoid creating errors saying that your car is out of tune
and polluting too much. The feds want the cars to be able to self test
for smog as much as possible. There have been a few postings about
OBDII and OBDIII on rec.autos.tech. Some of the '96 cars use multiple
(as in 4 or more) O2 sensors.

Here is one posting I've saved:

>If you're afraid of OBDII, you ain't seen nothing yet. There's an OBDIII to pha
sed in by
>the year 2000 which will actually broadcast faulty codes to the Feds. If you t
hink I'm
>making it up, pick up a copy of Peterson's Offroad and read the editorial.

        I've posted the scary facts about OBD-III here two times, and it seems
as if most people think this is an exaggerated hoax. I'm glad to see someone
else talk about it. Its a disaster. Not only will your car transmit emissions
data so that roadside receviers can pick up your VIN # and send you a
registration revocation in the mail unless you report to an inspection station.
But the system will also be used for speed enforcement, since part of the
OBD-III transmitted data contains the speed of your car. Instant ticket,
and no radar detector in the world can help you. Your car will just merrily
transmit its speed as you drive along. Oh, and for you civil liberatarians
out there, the system will also allow the gov't to know when and where you
are driving your car since your vehicle is now a transmitter. OBD-III
is the dream system of the big government crowd, environmental nazis, and
ticket revenue pigs. Its a total disaster. People are not informed on
this and its going to sneak up and be here one day and we won't be able to
get rid of it...

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-4848 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Yamaha IT175 XT350 YZF600 Seca750 Kawi KDX200
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 KC6WUG, AMA, DoD #7566, NMLRA, I'm the NRA.