Performance - Computers and Exhaust -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Thu May 09 1996 - 11:37:09 EDT

Jim,

The info on the computer in interesting...I bounced it off my
service advisor at Manuel Chrysler Dodge and he confirmed your
theory: "Most likely they dump the 'learned' parameters, which
forces the computer back to the defaults...When you're back on
the defaults, you get that 'fresh out of the showroom' pep that got
you to buy the truck."

He also said that, although powering down/up the computer would
reprogram it to factorydefaults, he does a "flash" dump from their
diag. computer, which does a "much better job of programing it." I
guess the diag computer analyzes the engine at it's current state
of wear and programs the computer accordingly, instead of just
dumping "0-miles" defaults.

Jim also writes: "So does the MP computer learn all your 'good'
habits too?"

Yes, it learns your driving habits, again according to Chrysler.

Jim also writes: "Exhaust - I was reading the fine print in the MP
catalog, and I concluded that the MP headers ARE NOT MADE
BY CHRYSLER. So who does make them? Has anyone seen
some good catalog photos so we can narrow this down? I would
hope it's someone like Edelbrock. I'm also hoping it would be
maybe a $100 cheaper with their brand name on it than MoPar's
name on it. Any info would be appreciated..."

I have heard/read that the MP headers are $450 and are a BEAR
to install. Someone on this thread has a horror story about
installing them. Maybe we can beg him to re-relate the story...

I was surfing last night and found some headers called Doug
Thorley made for the 318. The only application I read about (for
Dodge) was for older Rams. Maybe someone else has some
more info.

Ken
NRA Lifer
Insured by Para-Ordnance (15 Black Hills .45 ACP JHP x 412
ft-lbs = a huge mess)

"You know, there's a lot of people in this world that confuse
breathing in and out with living"