RE: Brakes (was: Bumper Painting & Brakes)

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri May 17 1996 - 08:35:44 EDT

From: Clement_D on Fri, May 17, 1996 8:37 AM
Subject: RE: Brakes (was: Bumper Painting & Brakes)
To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; RGallim232@aol.com@INTERNET

This message was sent using a custom form that is not installed on your
server. Some information from the original message may not be displayed. To
view the complete message, ask your network manager to install the form on
your server.

From: RGallim232@aol.com@INTERNET on Thu, May 16, 1996 11:10 PM

>In a message dated 96-05-15 18:29:46 EDT, I wrote:

>>Also, when I brake, I get this knocking noise. It happens at two
different
>>points. I have had the rotors turned to get rid of any warping but it
still
>>does it. The brake people do not know what is wrong (also think they do
not
>>know what they are doing since I have been there 3 times). Any ideas on
>this problem?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Ron

>>Then Dave Clement responded:

>>Could be a worn suspension component that is shifting when the brakes are
>>applied, something worn in the drive train or worn brake caliper mounting
>>parts that are allowing the caliper to move. You will need to be more
>>specific as to where the noise is coming from and a better description of
>>the noise for anyone to be more specific.

>>Dave Clement

>To be as specific as I can, it appears to be coming from the right front
>tire. I took it somewhere else and thay said it was not anything to do
with
>the brakes. They said, everything looked fine. Whatever it is, it is
>causing my truck to pulsate like a warped rotor and when I am about to come
>to a stop my brake squeek (more like hum like a Mack truck).

Ron,

Here are a couple of things to check;

. A poor rotor casting can have areas throughout that have different
material characteristics. This can cause different frictional
characteristics that would result in the same pulsing feeling of a warped
rotor. Take a look a the surace of the rotor and if there are any
differences in color or surface condition this is the likely problem.
Turning the rotor again may machine through the bad area but likely a new
rotor is in order.

. Have you replaced the pins and bushings that the caliper moves laterally
on? If the caliper can rock around you could get the sensation.

. Were the pads replaced when the rotors were turned? The pad could have a
wear pattern that is causing the sensation on the turned rotors.

. Is the wheel bearing adjusted properly? Loosesness in the bearing will
allow the rotor to rock laterally.

. I had a steel belt come loose and shift in a tire once that gave me a low
speed wobbling sensation thast I thought was a brake problem. You check by
slowly rotating the tire while watch in the tread. any lateral or radial
shift in the tread is an indication of a belt problem. This will not
account for the sqeak fro the brake but the two could just be a coincidence.

I can't think of anything else to check. If one of these is not the problem
I would start over on the brake job. Take the rotor to have it turned and
ask the machine shop to measure the runout before turning it (could have
been machined wrong in the first place). Get a new set of pads and the parts
kit to replace the mounting pins and bushings. And do not forget to put some
RTV or other gunk on the back of the pads before monting them to the caliper,
 this will prevent squeaks from developing down the road.

Dave Clement