Update: Dakota exhaust

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed May 22 1996 - 12:35:20 EDT

    Hello, I just thought I would drop a line about my '95 SLT Dakota 5.2
5-spd. I have just added an exhaust system to the truck, and currently I am
evaluating it.

    My current upgrades include: Mopar Performance high output computer
(claimed +24 hp), K&N open air filter (claimed 5-10 hp), bosche platnum plugs
(originals were fine, but thought I should change them @ 31,000 miles). I was
considering the Gibson exhaust, but wasn't sure. Out here on the west coast no
one carries Gibson. I spoke with Ed Hansen (in San Diego) Muffler's, as Ed has
been featured in many hi-po magazines for the Dakota as well as other truck
exhaust systems. He recommended, and installs the Ultra-Flow by Dynomax
(Walker). I ended up going with the Ultra-Flow (a stainless steel muffler
BTW), 3" from the CAT back (3" in and out on the Ultra-Flo), and a 3" chrome
tip for good looks.

    My impression: Oops!! A LITTLE too loud... But a GREAT sound. below
2600 RPM it has a very LOOOWWWW DEEEPP tone, simlar to a Motorhome w/headers
:), but take it 2650-4500 rpm and it sounds like Ricky Rudd @ Daytona... What
a wake-up "HELLO!". Quiet a tune to a person that likes high-performance
sounding cars. So far I have found a reasonable increase in power w/less right
foot needed to cruise @ 70 mph on hwy 52 here in San Diego (I hit a 3 mile hill
first thing in the morning on 52, and most 4 cyl cars are 65-70 MAX on that
hill, while I have the pedal down about 3/4" to maintain 70 mph :) )

    So, once I do a mileage figure I will post it. I spoke with a friend of
mine that has the same setup on a 4.0 Ranger (He wouldn't listen and bought a
Ford, oh well!) w/2.25" CAT back system. He too HAD a loud exhaust, but told
me that after a bit of carbon and such coats the Ultra-Flo the noise will
diminish a bit...At least from his experience, so I will see...

    Anyway, that's it for now... Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    Sam Parthemer
    San Diego, CA.
    '95 SLT CC Dakota 5.2L

    BTW:

        I drove a client to a job site early this morning to look at the
network cabling, etc etc...and he has a Cobra Mustang... He said the
tone/acceleration of my Dakota was quiet impressive, and was REAL curious as
to what I did to it (I.E. "Do you have headers on this thing???)

    Too funny...