RE: Update: Dakota exhaust

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed May 22 1996 - 18:48:00 EDT

Hi Sam -

> Hello, I just thought I would drop a line about my '95 SLT Dakota 5.2
>5-spd. I have just added an exhaust system to the truck, and currently I
am
>evaluating it.

I, too, am planning, on upgrading the computer and exhaust on my '96 Dakota,
as soon as the parts become available... I was thinking about the MP
performance exhaust or the Gibson perf. exh. from Magnum Performance, but I
think nothing is offered yet for the '96 model... Do you know if Walker
(Dynomax has a p/n for the '96 Dakota Club Cab w/5.2)??

> My current upgrades include: Mopar Performance high output computer
>(claimed +24 hp), K&N open air filter (claimed 5-10 hp), Bosch platinum
plugs
>(originals were fine, but thought I should change them @ 31,000 miles). I

Did you replace the entire Air Cleaner with the high flow K&N air cleaner,
or just the air filter itself with the stock air cleaner? I'm going to put
Bosch platinums in probably at about 15,000 miles. (got about 8,000 now)

>was considering the Gibson exhaust, but wasn't sure. Out here on the west
coast
>no one carries Gibson. I spoke with Ed Hansen (in San Diego) Muffler's, as
Ed
>has been featured in many hi-po magazines for the Dakota as well as other
truck
>exhaust systems. He recommended, and installs the Ultra-Flow by Dynomax

Now the Dynomax is available nationwide, correct??? I shouldn't have any
problems finding it here on the East Coast, right?

>(Walker). I ended up going with the Ultra-Flow (a stainless steel muffler
>BTW), 3" from the CAT back (3" in and out on the Ultra-Flo), and a 3"
chrome
>tip for good looks.

That sounds nice, 3" all the way back from the cat!!

> My impression: Oops!! A LITTLE too loud... But a GREAT sound. below

>2600 RPM it has a very LOOOWWWW DEEEPP tone, similar to a Motorhome
w/headers
>:), but take it 2650-4500 rpm and it sounds like Ricky Rudd @ Daytona...

Is this rumble obtrusive in around-town driving?? Does it get annoying on
long trips at highway speeds?? I must admit, I've always loved the sound of
well-tuned V8 music, but if my trucks going to resonate like some folks
exhaust on their performance cars, maybe I should stick with the stock
exhaust... How long is the Ultra-Flo guaranteed for??

TIA!

| Ned Vogler - Network Administrator | ---------------------------- |
| Rockville General Hospital, CT | _ _ _ _ _ _ |
| (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) - Work | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_` |
| (nvogler@juno.com) - Home | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_| |
| '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab | |
| '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ---------------------------- |