Re: Dakota "maintenance req'd" light

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed May 22 1996 - 18:59:45 EDT

You wrote:

> I would like to cheaply reset the "maintenance req'd
>light that is now forever illuminated. I have a 1989 truck,
>with about 85k miles.
> Any suggestions?

    My '91 Dakota, and my '95 Dakota only had "Check Engine" lights. Both times
my computer and /or alternator was having trouble. The Maint. Req. lights might
be an emissions deal. I don't see anything in my Chilton books (87-91), or my
Clemers? book 92-95...

    Ask a service manager local to where you are, but tell them you live in the
most remote part of the state, and cannot justify the $49.00 checkout charge,
plus drive XXX number of miles, plus overnight stay (there's always a waiting
period at the dealerships I've been to.) Add meals, entertainment (go to the
movies with wife/girl friend, etc. etc.) and film for your camera... After all
of that he should be able to see what trouble/money he could save you, and tell
you how to reset it! (I did this when I needed technical advise while working
on my '91 Dakota...They guy must have fallen out of his chair when I finish, and
he told me what to do over the phone! The dealership was only 15 minutes from
my house! 8) )

    ...Good Luck...

    And post the out come if you would..

    Sam '95 SLT Dakota