Mopar Performance SBEC

From: Jane V Elliott (elliott@cyberspace.com)
Date: Thu May 23 1996 - 01:25:37 EDT

I finally bit the bullet and filled my 92, 3.9, 4x4 with premium and
reinstalled the performance engine controller (SBEC). Aside from the
obvious expense of premium gas, and low idle speed (670-700 rpm is the
readout on my Auto X-Ray scanner), and worse low (engine) temperature
driveability than the stock SBEC it works well. The low temp driveability
seems like it's worse than it ever was, but it's been so long since it ran
right with the performance SBEC that I can't really remember. The engine
idles at about 800 rpm with the stock SBEC and runs slightly cleaner when
cold.

The advantages are better performance when the engine's warm, like run a
mile or so, and the gas mileage is much better. No numbers yet, but it
looks like it's back up to about 17 mpg around town from 15.5.

Others have mentioned installing Bosch Platinum plugs in their Dakotas.
I've tried them twice in mine and the truck wouldn't run with them, in
fact it just occurred to me that the Gold Champions in my truck may be
causing its low temp driveability problems. Autolite platinums worked
fine, however. Talked to a guy at Mopar Performance who said that he'd
had two Dakotas that wouldn't run at all on Splitfires. Mine did, but not
any better than on stock Champions and they cost almost 6x more.

A question. My Dakota has a K&N element in the stock filter cannister,
stock exhaust. How much if any will an "open" filter housing improve
performance and at what cost in noise at highway (70-75 mph) speeds? And
is there any advantage in putting a 3" catback system on a 3.9? I don't
want to lose any bottom end, so was thinking of putting on a 2.5" high
flow muffler when the stock system dies.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My summer vacations already
planned and I don't like the heat so don't tell me where to go.

Larry Elliott, '92, 3.9, 4x4 shortbed, NRA Life, RMEF, TVHA, AMA.