How to clean a K&N air filter

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Thu May 23 1996 - 07:13:35 EDT

>I noticed that some of you have the K&N air filter on your rigs. I got
one for
>my 3.9L. I've lost the box and cleaning instructions. Will someone post
how
> to clean and prepare (oil) this filter?

Go to any dealer and get the Recharger Kit. This comes with the cleaner
and oil. Only $12 and it lasts a long time.

Basically, you spray the cleaner on to release the old oil. Then you hose
(just flow, no pressure) from the INSIDE OUT. This releases all the dirt.
Flowing the other way just forces the dirt into the material. Repeat until
the filter is a very light gray.

Let the filter dry. Do not use compressed air. I find that a nice sunny
day works great.

Reoil. Spray into each pleat until a uniform red color is over the entire
filter. Don't worry about excess. About a week after cleaning, remove the
filter and clean the airbox of excess oil. Keep a light film of oil around
the seat of the filter to act as a barrier. Reinstall and drive happy for
another 20-50 thousand miles.

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.