Re: K&N -Reply -Reply -Reply

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Thu May 30 1996 - 17:17:27 EDT

Ned,

K&N's FIPK has a "different" filter than the Filtercharger. A cut-a-way
view of the FIPK shows the base plate angled down below the base,
causing the filter to be about 1 inch taller than the stock filter. Idea: More
filter surface area, more airflow. No hood scoop needed.

But, at $104 vs. $30, I just can't do it.

Crankcase breather hose inlet is on the bottom of the FIPK. Crankcase
fumes will no longer be "double-filtered" (once by the crankcase breather
filter, once by the air filter). Change your crankcase filter often.
BTW--K&N makes "open-flow" crankcase filters, but has a warning: "Not
to be used on computer-controlled engines." (???)

Dakota's pre-heat duct goes on the shelf in your garage to be reinstalled
at inspection time, if needed. K&N claims FIPK to be fully EPA-approved
but some gas-station yokel might refuse to inspect it 'cause the pre-heat
duct is missing.

If you're gonna shell out that dough, 1st spend $5 on the K&N catalog. It
has detailed technical discussions on intake airflow. They have separate
cats. for auto, M/C and others. I sweet-talked the customer service rep.
into sending me the auto and M/C cats. for free. I just told her how many
vehicles I have wearing Filterchargers. Mention the Website at
Motorville.com.

Ken

K&N Engineering Inc
PO Box 1329