Squealing Brakes

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Jun 11 1996 - 07:58:39 EDT

From: Clement_D on Tue, Jun 11, 1996 8:02 AM
Subject: Squealing Brakes

About a month ago my Dakota developed a squeal from the left rear brake when
almost stopped under medium to hard brake application (doesn't do it with
light pressure).

My first thought was it was time for rear brakes. Upon examination the shoes
and drums looked in fine condition (no rivit or metal contact, no excessive
ware on the drums). Since I had it apart I decided to do a brake job anyway.
The drums were turned, new shoes and all the springs / clips were replaced.
The backing plate was cleaned and the shoe contact points were lubed with
hi-temp grease.

The squealing continues (still on the left side only) and I would like some
inputs as to the cause and solution.

NOTE: The leading edge of the shoes are chamfered and the backing plate is
tight on the axle.

Dave Clement