Re: Sad Case--I love buying a new car...

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 12 1996 - 13:16:13 EDT

   I've done all of what you suggested, except for the dealing of
course... However, if the trucks I'm looking at are still available
for sale when I get my loan aproved, I don't expect to have to do
any dealing, since the price they have marked, is as low or lower then
I would have ever expected to get out of them.

BTW, most car car buying books I see, say you should be able to purchase
most new vehicles for 2 to 5% over dealer cost. The truck I'm looking
at, is priced lower then that already... Chrysler must really be giving
the dealers some big kick backs on the remaining Dakota supply...

As for the Sales man, well in some respects I don't really car if
he's a jerk, cause I think I can be a even bigger one...

  One how to purchase a new car, book I read basicly says you might
want to look slightly unstable when you go to deal, their likely
to give you most of what you ask for just so you don't blow up...

I deffintly am not going to give anyone $20,000 with out me feeling
I got the best deal I could.

Oh, and the other advice is to negotiate the trade in price first, and
walk if they don't give you a fair price...

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, KEN MANSFIELD wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> Here's what I always do when I buy a new vehicle:
>
> Go to a bookstore and pick up at least 2 of the "New Car
> Buyers Guide" for your model year.
>
> Contact Consumer Reports and request a copy of the
> options list for the model you are shopping for ($12).

more good tips and advice deleted...