Re: Sad Case--I love buying

From: Phil McClay (Phil_McClay@qmgateib.mitre.org)
Date: Wed Jun 12 1996 - 14:10:29 EDT

         Reply to: RE>Sad Case--I love buying a new car...

Do not waste your time/money getting the Consumer Reports auto pricing info.
I made that mistake two years ago when buying my '94 Dakota. In late October
1993 they sent me pricing for the '93 Dakota, even though the 94 models had
been out since August 1993 and my credit union had the 94 data since July
(available at no-charge). I complained, and Consumer Reports said that was
the best they could do.

And now all that information (new/used/trade-in pricing and reviews) is
available on the web for FREE anyways:

http://www.edmunds.com/

The spreadsheet is definitely a good idea. I went as far as having a column
for the Chrysler option codes; helped the sales guy when he filled out the
order sheet. I never talk percentage over dealer invoice nor retail prices --
unnecessarily complicated. Just negotiate $'s over dealer invoice and work
with wholesale prices. When I came in with that kind of data the dealer just
got out the "books" and we worked from there. I ordered the truck I wanted
and paid an additional $500 over invoice.

Phil McClay
mcclay@mitre.org

--------------------------------------
Date: 6/12/96 12:22
From: KEN MANSFIELD <KMansfie@compucom.com>

Glenn,

Here's what I always do when I buy a new vehicle:

Go to a bookstore and pick up at least 2 of the "New Car
Buyers Guide" for your model year.

Contact Consumer Reports and request a copy of the
options list for the model you are shopping for ($12).

Make a simple spreadsheet from the window sticker with
the vehicle base and options listed down the left margin.
Make 3 columns across the top. Call the columns: Retail,
Wholesale, Wholesale + X%, where X is the percentage you
would be willing to pay over wholesale for that option.
5-10% is good, depending on your geo. area. Go low, to
give your self bargaining room.

-- snip --