RE: New Truck.

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 17 1996 - 13:13:17 EDT

Congratulations Glenn! Welcome to Dakota Territory!

>four wheel drive. I had some trouble getting it back out of four low

The transfer case shift was a bit balky for the first 30K miles or so, and I
used 4x4 a __LOT__ when I first got the truck. It'll break in. BTW, make SURE
they (or you) change the xfer case lube when you have the 30K service. It uses
ATF, and since ATF normally comes out of the tranny perfectly serviceable, I
keep some of it to reuse in the rougher service of the xfer case. The xfer
case is subject to dirt intrusion from the slip-yoke tailshaft.

> The only option I didn't get on my Dakota, that I really wanted is
>the sheild package. I looked into purchasing these from the dealer
>but the cost would wind up being about $600, a little more then I have
>right now. Do most of you 4x4 owners have the sheild package? Do you
>think I should try and get some or all of the sheilds? Is there any
>other place to purchase sheilds cheaper?

I don't know of any aftermarket manufacturers. You could get a welding shop
to fab some nice beefy ones for $600! Check for a wreck you can scavenge.
You absolutely, positively __DO__ want these if you'll be crawling over rocks!
Especially with the stock tires. Wear out the stock Goodyears (40K tops)
and put on some 31-10.5/15s (biggest that'll fit, minor rubbing at full lock).
If you want to avoid the hassle and get Dodge parts, at least get the Xfer
case guard and the front diff/crankcase guard. You're not likely to hit the
fuel tank, unless you're as extreme as Chris Siano and I.
Check my next post for more skid plate news.

Welcome to the Club!

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
   I love lush forests, running streams, naked women, and motorcycles.
            I hunt and eat red meat, thus I'm a game manager.
 I own a fossil-guzzling truck, yet I Tread Lightly! wherever I go,
   and pick up all the trash you environmentalist city folk leave behind.
 I own and use an Evil Black Gun (or two) but I'm not a criminal.
 Paradox? No, I'm from Dakota Territory (Montana) where a man's born FREE.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-