Re: Mileage Report

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 13:12:00 EDT

   I've runn aproximatly two tankfulls in my new Dakota. It's equiped
much like the one Tim has. The first tank was used during brake-in,
and I don't know how that should affect things, but I suspect not too
much. I didn't really baby the truck during this period, because I don't
plan on babying it the rest of it's life either. Actually I dove it
just about like I normaly do, maybe a little harder, the only changes
to driving habbits I made was to avoid driving at the same speed for
sustained periods. I did keep it under 70 except for a few short periods
of time and most of the time was under 60.
  The second tank full I drove mostly highway, traveling around 75 most
of the time. No real wind to speak of.

   I don't have anything covering my bed, and the tailgate was up. I had
a K&N filter instaled just before the second tank full.

Tank one...

Mostly crusing back roads(two lane black top), some boulivard travel(50 mph
ocasionaly hitting a stop light). Speeds mostly under 60 mph the entire
tank. Some ocasional full throttle accelerations up to 60(once or twice
to 80). 16.2 mpg

Tank two...

Mostly Highway speeds of 75, some bursts to 85, some two lane black top
at speed to 65. The ocasional full throttle acceleration...(K&N installed)
                         15.5 mpg

I'm not sure why I got better gas mileage on the second tank. I had
expected to do better. My only guess is that the higher speeds of
the highway made a big differance being that my bed is open and the
tailgate closed.