RE: Shocking Shock Facts

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 15:52:13 EDT

>There are a couple of disadvantages to the Bilsteins design;
>. One is that they are a single wall shock (the piston does not ride on
>welded tubing you refer to in other brands) and if they happen to get a ding
>the shock is junk. I do not know what the likely hood of this happening is

This is true, although the body is about an eighth of an inch thick forged
steel, not 24 gauge sheet metal.

>. The Bilstein shock is a high pressure gas shock that relys on the
>gas/fluid emulsion for the damping characteristics. Even a small leak around
>the seal and the shock will lose it's characteristics very fast. Most low

They have a spacer that keeps the fluid and gas seperate. If any shock loses
seal integrity, it won't last long. The smooth cylinder surface helps Bilsteins
maintain seal integrity for a VERY long time.

Hey - almost all NASCAR chassis are running Bilsteins.

For trucks, they're selling them for $49.95 each at Off Road Warehouse.

Jim
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." -- Proust