Re: intro message (oil)

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 19 1996 - 18:42:55 EDT

>1. How do you change the oil without making a mess? I've resorted to
>cutting up a 1 gallon plastic milk jug to catch the oil stream when
>the drain plug is removed, but that's not a perfect solution either.
>Any suggestions?

  My first time, I made a pretty big mess of it. Had to get the
cat litter and everything. :) The second time, it was better, but
still messy. I'm now at the point where I only get a few ounces of
oil on the driveway. I bought an oil pan/jug at Wal*Mart. It looks
like a squashed cylinder... About a foot and a half in diameter, and
about six inches high. It has a spout on the side, along with a handle.
The top of the pan (where the oil goes in) slopes down to the middle
where there is a plug you can put in when you get all the oil caught
in it. (for transport, or whatever). That's not a real great
description, I know, but its the best I can do. :) If I remember right,
it was surprisingly cheap, about 5 bucks or so. Its large size does a
good job of catching most of the oil.

  Where I still have a problem is with the oil filter. It seems that no
matter how hard I try, I spill oil all over everything when I take off
the old filter. I put the pan under the filter and turn the filter in
quick bursts, kind of like twisting the dial on a safe or a combination
lock... (Twist, quickly jerk hand away, twist, jerk and away, etc).
Eventually the thing falls off and into the oil pan. (With only a little
"splash"). Thats the "cleanest" way I've been able come up with. The
first time I took off the filter, I just unsecrewed it and was rewarded by
a cup of oil running under my sleeve and up my arm. :P
  Oh yeah... When I change the oil, I use a set of ramps to create a little
more working room.

   I hope this helps! If anyone has a better method, I'd sure love to
try it!

                                              -Jon-

| Jon Steiger: DoD# 1038, EAA #518210, USUA# A46209, NMA# 117376, KotWitDoDFAQ |
| stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
| '96 Dakota SLT V-8 Club Cab, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |