RE: Speaking of oil...

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Jun 20 1996 - 10:14:39 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; iggy@merit.edu@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 10:20 AM
Subject: RE: Speaking of oil...

From: iggy@merit.edu@INTERNET on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 9:45 AM

>I would agree that synthetic oil is of very little advantage in a V8. Maybe
>in a smaller V6 or 4 cylinder engine, or Turbo application.
> However I have a question about additives like Slick 50. I know they
>don't recomend things like this during break in, but I thought that
>break in was about 500 miles. Is there a problem with adding teflon
>treatments after the first oil change?

Boy!! you must not be on the Mopar Mailing List (MML). Slick 50 has been a
thread for over a week now. There has been anedoctal testamonial's about how
good it is and horror stories about how bad it is. The testamonials are
things like it reduced my water temperature by x degrees (what I always
wonder is when you have a thermostat controlling the water temp how do you
get a water temperature drop?) and the horror stroies are it plugs up the
oil filter and oil lines. The few independant & scienticially valid
analysis's of this type of stuff have generally concluded that is does not
hurt but also does no good.

> I don't put a lot of faith in CR, but that's another matter... I'm sure
>they can do some good reports on something like this motor oil thing...
> I have been going with this oil change plan that my dad recomends...
>He says, to changer your oil and filter every 5,000 miles, basicly because
>it's a reasonable interval, and you don't even have to write anything
>down about when you last changed it. Just wait for the next 5,000 on the
>odometer. 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, ect... It's simple, and I like simple.

Agreeded!!

> As for Oily subjects, my brother(20 years a mechanic) recomended to
>me, that I run a straight weight oil in the summer. He felt that it
>was less likely to break down. I guess he was skeptical of the things
>that may be needed to create a multi weight oil. This doesn't work
>very well in the winter however, when the temperature goes down to
>frezing or below. I ended up deciding I'd put more faith in the muti
>weight oils, and stick with 5W-30.

The oil companies have had what 35-40 years of development work on
multi-grade oils? All there efforts go into these oils and the additive
packages are developed precisely to fight breakdown. I can't see how using
straight weight would be better for your engine, besides I do not think
there are any straight weights that will meet new car specs.

> Me, I'm partial to Castrol GTX in perticular.

A fine choice!

Dave Clement