RE: Oil Pressure Problems

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Jun 20 1996 - 10:47:39 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; mjacob@VNET.IBM.COM@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 10:52 AM
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Problems

From: mjacob@VNET.IBM.COM@INTERNET on Thu, Jun 20, 1996 10:30 AM

>I too have had problems with the oil pressure sending unit. On both my
>89 and 92 Daytona's the oil pressure reads fine and they will start
>giving me false (I hope) readings. It seems that all 4 of my Chrysler
>engines are using the same long black sensor. I have put a mechanical
>gauge under the hood for piece of mind. The Dakota 3.9 always sits at
>52psi at 2000 rpm. My Daytona's sit no less that 60psi at 2000rpm.

Jake
I too have done the mechanical gauge under the hood on the Daytona's and get
similiar readings.

The long black sensor you mention is a combined sensor. The low pressure
switch that trips the idiot light is combined in with the gauge sensor. On
my 85 Daytona they were seperate and the sensor was larger in diameter with
only one wire. Out of curiosity I cut open that sensor after I replaced it.
It was about 3/4 full of oil. The resistive element is exposed inside the
can and it was covered with oil (I can imagine the oil causing the element
to have a higher resistance resulting in a lower reading). Also if the
diaphragm is leaking at a constant oil pressure the drop across the
diaphragm would equalize causing the gauge reading to go down.

My 89 Daytona keeps getting an oil build up inside the connector socket so I
suspect that it is leaking also, I just have not got around to replacing it.
The

Dakota sensor has not given me any problems. I wonder if the Daytona
problem is related to the sensor hanging off the end of the junction block
and is being effected by vibration?

Dave Clement