Dakota shocks and sway-bar bushings

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 1996 - 12:55:33 EDT

Sam,

There has been some rather opinionated commentary on this
thread about shocks for the Dakota. True, Bilstiens are probably
the best, but you get what you pay for. A co-worker pays $120
per corner to put Bilstiens on his Mustang Cobra, but I think the
Dakota shocks are cheaper.

My Dodge service advisor promotes the Monroe Sensa-Tracs over
the Dodge OEM as replacements for cars and trucks--says folks
have been pleased. I put the Sensa-Tracs on my '92, but the
sway bar bushings need replacing, so I can't tell if the shocks are
any better than stock. They cost me $32.99 per at NAPA.

There's also Koni, Rancho, Gabriel, and Mopar Perf., as well as
others.

FYI--I found the outer sway-bar rebuild kit w/ urethane bushings IN
STOCK at Pep-Boys for $14.99. They ordered the inner bushings
($7.00) to be delivered in 4-5 days. I mail-ordered them from
Summitt Racing in mid June and they sent me a postcard saying
the bushing would not be shipped until 7/30--45 DAYS!!! (I
cancelled).

Question:

Does anyone know a good way to tighten down the upper nut on
the front shocks? Can I get a tool that allows me to turn the
piston stem while holding the nut with a wrench, or is that bad for
the piston? Clearance is very tight for wrenching. I can't get the
bushing to expand.

klm

>>> Sam <sam_p@ix.netcom.com> 06/26/96 10:21am >>>
    Well, I know it was talked about before, but now it's MY turn.

    My '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab with (sob) 36015 miles on it as of
yesterday, now is out of warranty... :(

    My truck is now in need of shocks all around... After numerous

trips to the river with 2 jet skis in the back, and towing my friend's
boat, my original stock shocks have finally blown out.

    I am looking for a good gas shock, but it doesn't need to be the

best... I have heard about the Bilstens (too much $$ for me), and
others. RS5000's???

    Let me know...

    tHANKS!

    ...Sam